Sunday, February 22, 2009

Is this any way to treat a VIP? Day 1

For his 70th birthday, my dad invited his children and grandchildren to join him for a week long vacation. Unfortunately, at the last minute my husband had to decline because of work commitments and I had to go alone with my two little ones.

HER SIDE: My word! My husband and I just arrived at this lovely luxury resort for a week of relaxation, but we are already off to a bad start. The first thing I noticed when I entered the lobby was a toddler and an older child squealing with delight as they ran around the lobby. Don't get me wrong, I love children. However this child was too little to be allowed to run freely around the hotel lobby and the other child was old enough to know better. I looked around to see where the parents were and I saw a young woman sitting on one of the sofas with her head resting in one hand. She looked terrible and she didn't even try to entertain the kids. They just ran all around the lobby; playing and yelling and causing a big commotion. Twice, they were almost run over by a luggage cart! At one point, the little boy was playing nearly 20 feet away from where she was sitting. He should be kept within arm's reach!!! Not to mention he and his older sister were screeching at the top of their lungs. I think maybe they don't get to play very often. Honestly, if you don't want to take care of the children, why did you have them?
Also, I noticed that she kept glaring at the hard working people at the front desk. I don't know what her problem was, they were so sweet and helpful. Check-in time wasn't until 4pm but they were able to check us in 20 minutes early because we are VIPs. Hmph! I hope we aren't on the same floor as this young lady and her children. And by the way, where in the world is the children's father?
MY SIDE:
I. DON'T. BELIEVE. THIS. CRAP!!!!!!! I did everything right. I called YESTERDAY and specifically asked for an early check-in. The woman told me that as VIP customers we be able to check in as early as 2pm. She said she sent an e-mail to the front desk, letting them know that we would definitely be taking advantage of this perk. I knew that we would arrive around noon, but I figured we'd see if the room was ready and if not, at least they would know that we were here and ready to check-in at two. We could go to lunch and walk around the resort to kill time. My kids were perfectly FINE at 2pm. But now it is 3:30pm. And my kids are not fine. I am not fine. I am about to lose my mind. They are already losing theirs. They are tired from being in their car seats for 6 hours, then sitting down and behaving at a restaurant for an hour, then back in the car seats for the short trip back to the resort. They need to take their naps. They need to take a bath. They need to get out of these clothes. WE NEED TO CHECK IN!!! And don't even get me started on my dad. He is no help at all! When we got back to the resort at 2p and the room wasn't ready, he went right back downstairs to sit in the car. Easy for him to do...if I attempted to put my kids back in their car seats there would be a full scale mutiny. So, I sit here....right in the middle of the lobby, surrounded by all of my luggage. I will not give them (front desk people) a moment's peace until I have a moment's peace. I will stare them down while my children run rampant all over the lobby, disturbing the other guests and the relaxing atmosphere they've tried to create. I want them to put pressure on the cleaning crew..."get this woman's room cleaned NOW!" I want them to notify me THE MOMENT my room is ready. And that is why I refuse to leave, or stress myself out even more by trying to make my kids behave.
And another thing.....this old lady needs to stop cutting her eyes at me before I give her a piece of my mind!

Ah, FINALLY!!! They're calling my name.....

1 comment:

  1. Vacation not starting as planned? I hope it got better.

    ReplyDelete