Monday, February 16, 2009

The first night.....

I am on a one week vacation with my two children but without my husband. It is quite an experience and I'm blogging about it here. This is the second post in the series.

The first night....

Jade slept well. I checked on her several times throughout the night and each time she was out cold, snoring softly. O was the opposite. He tossed and turned. He fidgeted and fussed. At one point I started having a flashback , but that wasn't the case. Then, I thought maybe he was inhaling too much Lysol. You know I Lysol all the sheets upon checking into a hotel. I do it as soon as we arrive, hoping it has a chance to air out before we go to bed, but I didn't intend for him to sleep with me (not sure what I was thinking) and so I did my bed last. Then I started freaking out, thinking he was getting brain damaged with every inhale. Didn't I hear something about how bad Lysol and other aerosols are for the brain! AAGH! What kind of mother am I? The kind who listens to her mother...she's the one who told me to do this! I grabbed one of our beach towels and put it on the bed. Then I put O on top of it. He went to sleep. Damn! I wonder how much damage was done.
Anyway, Jade was up at 7:00am, just like normal. I must admit, it was beautiful to see the sun rising over the ocean. Of course, once Jade was up, we all got up. I washed her up and changed O's diaper. Then they were clamoring for food. It should have taken me about ten minutes to fix them something to eat. However, since I had to answer 100 questions, come look at fifteen things, remove O from 6 dangerous situations while preparing breakfast, it took twice as long.

Sidenote: Am I crazy? I didn't have any bottled water, so I washed a pot and boiled tap water, then put it in the refrigerator to cool before I let them drink it.

After breakfast, I had to vacuum the stray Cheerios off the floor before I let O get out of his booster seat. It's his habit to throw some down for later. Then I cleaned up the kitchen. Then it was off to get them dressed. and do their hair. Finally, at 9:15 they were fed, dressed and ready to go. I, on the other hand, looked crazy and was already exhausted.


  1. Wow, you've got your hands full!

  2. LOL
    Oh, my toddler is always throwing a little food on the floor for a snack later. Fun.

  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I can totally relate to the vacationing alone with kids. It really shouldn't be called a vacation. Maybe adventure?! Exhausting quest for entertainment? I always get home and really need a vacation!! Try to enjoy yourself in spite of all the stress of being out of your normal routine/element :)